The Developer’s Lawyer with Rosa Lupo of Gowling WLG
As part of the Real Estate Forums series, Aaron and Adam are alongside Rosa Lupo. She is a Partner with Gowling WLG in the Corporate Commercial Group based in their Waterloo Region office, one of seven offices in Canada.
Rosa talks about the Waterloo housing market before getting into the Tarion new home warranty program. She explains the provisions it offered at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, why the program exists, and how changing prices in commodities are affecting Tarion.
Topics covered include:
- The ways that Rosa works with and protects condo developers.
- Who pays for a Tarion warranty.
- Reasons that a homeowner may want to opt out of Tarion.
- What happens when a purchaser decides they want to exit the deal.
- Rosa’s participation in leadership groups for women.
- What Rosa would do to keep more women involved with law.
- The movement of lawyers into real estate careers and the advantages they have.
- An explanation of Ontario’s Tarion warranty plan for new homes.
- The regional focus that Gowling WLG has despite being a global company.
- Growth that has been seen in Waterloo.
- Why Rosa was attracted to a career in law.
- The unavoidable delay notice that developers had to send to homeowners due to the pandemic.
- Informing purchasers of new closing and occupancy dates.
- Why the government decided residential construction had to continue during the pandemic.
- Implications of higher material costs in Canada.
More about our guest….
The CRE Podcast is powered by First National.
In partnership with Canadian Real Estate Forums.