Founding a Brokerage with Mark Fieder of Avison Young
Mark Fieder is our guest in this episode. He is President, Canada at Avison Young and has been with the company for 31 years. With such a long tenure in real estate, Mark is no stranger to market crashes like the one experienced in 2020.
After providing a history of his time with Avison Young, Mark explains how his company has performed throughout the coronavirus pandemic and initiatives they have implemented. We hear about why Mark is positive about the 2021 real estate market as well as his prediction for office space.
Topics covered include:
- How Avison Young started and the vision they had.
- The full-service approach that got Avison Young through the difficult early 90s.
- Why the company’s growth started taking off in 2009.
- Different roles that Mark has taken on at Avison Young.
- What Mark has done to carry his team through the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Supporting the mental health of Avison Young’s staff.
- Getting back to business and what Mark thinks Q1 2021 will look like.
- Damage being done to businesses because of the pandemic.
- Becoming the best but not necessarily the biggest.
- The sentiment of office space tenants.
- Mark’s anticipation for brokerage volumes in 2021.
- Global expansion of Avison Young and which markets are focused on.
More about our guest…..
Mark is President of Avison Young Canada. He is a Founding Principal and has 30 years of history with the Company. A Principal since 1989, he became Chief Operating Officer, Canadian Operations in July 2015. Prior to being promoted to that position, he was Managing Director of the company’s Eastern Canada and Ontario operations following a 14-year tenure as Managing Director of Avison Young’s Ontario offices. Fieder joined Avison Young in 1989 upon receiving a Bachelor of Arts Honours Degree in Urban Development from Western University in Ontario, in 1984. Mark serves on the Global Leadership Committee as well as the Executive Committee which together with the Board of Directors contributes to the strategic direction and growth at Avison Young’s Canadian and Global Platform.
As President, he is a strategic executive responsible for overseeing a comprehensive portfolio of global real estate services, focused primarily on the delivery of excellence that leads to growth of the organization. He contributes to the development of AY’s strategic goals and objectives as well as the overall management of the organization. He also leads the market’s teams in managing real estate and provides executive level gravitas to assist in closing of relevant large transactions. Recruiting the next generation of leadership and revenue generators to continuously expand the platform of the Company into additional markets, adding service lines in existing markets, and facilitating merger/acquisition targets to closing, are few of his primary roles. Mark is a leader and champion of the unique and strong culture of the organization on a national level. He promotes a culture of, high performance, collaborative cross-functional teams, continuous learning and high standards for quality. He is, innovative, with a vision of the future of the Company; has strong leadership and mentoring skills with the ability to inspire people to action through their influence.
The CRE Podcast is powered by First National.
In partnership with Canadian Real Estate Forums.